Thursday, August 8, 2013

HOW TO WRITE APPLICATION LETTER


Application letter (cover letter) is a document that provides additional information on an applicant's experience and skill when applying for a job. An application letter is sent together with curriculum vitae.
             FOMART OF APPLICATION LETTER
1.      Your address, but not your name, usually goes in the top right hand corner.
2.      Date, the position of the date usually goes on the right below the addressee details. The format of the date is flexible; it could be written 5 July 2003, 5th July 2013, 5/7/13 or 05/04/03.
Example: P.O.Box 6043,
                 Morogoro.

                 5th July, 2013

3.      The title and address of the person you’re writing to  goes below your address on the left.
Example: Headmaster,
               Tushikamane Secondary School,
                P.O.Box 6043,
                Morogoro.

4.      Salutation: If you don’t know the Sex of the person, you would traditionally write Dear Sir/Madam. But if you know the sex of the person you can write Dear sir or Dear Madam.
5.      Title or heading of the letter: It is common now to put the Title of the letter directly below the salutation. This would be in bold or underlined. The purpose is to give the reader an idea of what the letter is about before reading it, and to be able to pass it on to a more appropriate
person if necessary.
Example: REF: APPLICATION FOR POST OF SPORT SECRETARY.
6.      Body of Application Letter: The body of your application letter lets the employer know what position you are applying for, why the employer should select you for an interview, and how you will follow-up.
          (a)First Paragraph: The first paragraph of your letter should include information on why  you are       writing. Mention the job you are applying for and where you found the job listing.
            Example: Refer/ Adhere the heading above, I am applying for post of Secretary as    advertised on Daily news of 1st July 2013.
            (b) Second Paragraph: The next section of your application letter should describe what         you      have to offer the employer. Mention specifically how your qualifications match the job you            are applying for.
            Example: I studied Ordinary secondary education at Tushikamane Secondary School; I        have     experience and skills on sport, since I used to be sport prefect and footballer at   Tushikamane   Secondary School. With this experience I believe I am capable to carry       duties of sport secretary           at your organization.
7.       Complimentary close/Conclusion: Conclude your application letter by thanking the employer   for considering you for the position.
            Example: I hope that your office will work successfully on my request. And I am looking forward   to hear your positive response.
            Sincerely/ yours faith fully/ yours sincerely,
            8. Signature of the Sender
            9. Name of the Sender
                                                                     


                  


                                                                  SAMPLE OF APPLICATION LETTER
                                                                                                 


                                                                                             P.O.Box 6043,
                                                                                                Morogoro.
                                                                                                 30th July 2013

Director,
Morogoro Para legal,
P.O.Box 165.
Morogoro.

Dear Sir/ Madam,

REF:  JUNIOR LEGAL SECRETARY POSITION.

I am writing in response to the advertisement on www.zoom.com on 4th July 2013 for a junior legal secretary with your firm. The role described is exactly the kind of opportunity that I have been looking for.
I have recently completed my Certificate III in Business Administration (legal) and am now seeking an entry-level position to begin my career and expand my knowledge in legal services. My current position as office junior for Lawson Accountants has been a great introduction to working in an office environment. I have been employed part-time in this position for the past year and have learnt all the basics, including dealing with clients, answering phones, diary management, photocopying and filing, amongst other things. Additionally, I also developed great customer service skills through my previous position as sales assistant at Hughson Department Store.

I am a proficient computer and Internet user and am familiar with Microsoft Word. I would consider my strengths to be my written and verbal communication skills, my high attention to detail and my ability to always be well organized. I am a hard worker and perseverant. I work well in a team; I am capable of taking initiative and working unsupervised.

Thank you for taking the time to read my application and I hope that I will get the chance to meet you in person for an interview.

Yours sincerely,

[signature here]

Martha Matwiga






By Sir George Magessa


No comments:

Post a Comment